Filoli Visitor Map
A detailed layout of the house, gardens and pathways.
For best results, print on 8.5x14 paper. Requires Acrobat Reader. Full Color Versions available at the Visitor and Education Center upon arrival.
Directions to Filoli.
Learn about our educational offerings.
Reporting to the Governing Board, the Executive Director (“ED”) of Filoli has overall strategic and operational responsibility for Filoli staff and volunteers, programs, and execution of its mission. S/he will be responsible for delivering excellence in executive leadership and organizational management including the ability to manage high performing, well experienced senior managers, set and achieve strategic organizational objectives, as well as create and manage an annual operating budget. S/he will be an excellent communicator and representative of Filoli to external audiences and stakeholders, most notably the National Trust for Historic Preservation (“NTHP”).
S/he will have significant experience in operations and business planning, as well as an appreciation for the field of historic preservation.
The ED will provide business leadership and guidance to the Governing Board. S/he will work in partnership with the Board on strategic planning, fundraising, external communications and policy matters.
The ED is responsible for the fiscal sustainability of Filoli; as such, s/he will be responsible for, along with the efforts of a management team member responsible for development (to be hired), diversifying and ensuring the robustness of the organization’s revenue channels, as well as broadening membership opportunities.
The ED has the ultimate responsibility for leading and managing all operations of the organization. S/he will work with the management team to optimize and enhance Filoliís programs and services, providing a strong understanding of program management.
The ED will be the external spokesperson for Filoli, responsible for raising the organization’s profile locally, statewide, and nationally. Raising Filoli’s visibility will be in keeping with and support of the strategic objectives agreed upon by the Executive Director, Governing Board, volunteers, staff, and the NTHP.
- Strategic Leadership and Management
- Primary liaison with the National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Partnership with Governing Board
- Fundraising and Communications
- Program Development, Management, and Evaluation
- Outreach & Marketing
- Finance, Operations, and Human Resources
- Proven track record of leadership, with a minimum of 10 years of management experience, with an organization of similar complexity to Filoli including managing multiple departments, programs and functions, as well as demonstrated success in collaborative leadership and management of strong professional staff and a large volunteer corps.
- A passion for Filoliís mission including leading Filoli to follow its mission and vision, as well as a deep understanding of the importance of Filoli to its stakeholders and the broader community;
- Experience in the management of resources, financial management and business decision making;
- Track record of forging pragmatic solutions in environments characterized by ambiguity and complexity;
- Track record of successfully working with a sizable volunteer corps, ensuring their best work is brought forth and delivered to the organization, along with demonstrated appreciation and gratitud;
- Technologically savvy, with experience in identifying and collaborating with technical resources to benefit an enterprise: and
- Direct experience with, or oversight of, nonprofit fundraising along multiple revenue channels.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree is a plus.
The successful candidate will have or be:
- Understanding of and commitment to the unique role Filoli plays in the community;
- Comfortable with and energized by being ďthe faceĒ of the organization;
- Secure leader who is approachable, willing to actively listen and ask questions, and is comfortable giving and receiving advice;
- Team oriented leader with exemplary interpersonal skills;
- Collaborative and transparent, and able to inspire confidence and trust among multiple stakeholders, including staff, Board, volunteers, and donors;
- Motivational leadership style inspiring others to action;
- Able to navigate a complex social network;
- A consensus builder, with a tolerance for ambiguity and ability to demonstrate flexibility in complex situations;
- A high degree of emotional intelligence, professionalism and self-awareness;
- Unquestionable integrity and commitment to personal and professional excellence;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as a passionate and persuasive communicator;
- Optimistic in outlook; friendly and people oriented while also being solutions oriented; and,
- Possess a sense of humor and a containable ego.
A competitive compensation package, including a comprehensive benefits package, will be offered, commensurate with experience.
For additional information regarding this opportunity, all interested individuals must contact:
Managing Partner Carlson Beck
Principal Carlson Beck
Manager of Visitor Services
The Manager of Visitor Services is a full–time, year–round, salaried, exempt position that reports to the Director of Property Operations. On a day–to–day basis, the Manager interacts and collaborates most frequently with the Manager of Member Services, Head of Education, Guest Services Supervisor, Filoli’s Emergency Response Team and numerous Filoli volunteers. The regular work schedule will include one weekend day. Evening and additional weekend service is required at various times throughout the year to support Filoli special events and other programming activities. Please note: there is no public transportation available to this site; reliable transportation is critical.
The Manager of Visitor Services is responsible for the supervision of a staff of four (4) and works closely with numerous volunteers. The Manager and his/her department consistently deliver an exceptional level of customer service to all individuals (on–site or remotely by telephone, mail or email). The Visitor Services work environment is fast–paced and exceptionally busy, particularly during peak hours and high season.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strategic planning for increasing visitation and improving the visitor experience;
- Extensive utilization of the Altru ticketing software or equivalent program for visitation analysis and forecasting;
- Overseeing: The scheduling of tours, property rentals and hikes; arranging visitor center volunteers' and house and garden docent volunteers' schedules; and phone and online ticket/admission sales;
- Booking dates on the organization's master calendar;
- Reconciling daily visitation, tour and rental revenues;
- Promoting Filoli membership;
- Daily management of all visitor services;
- Active involvement in departmental budgeting process;
- Develop and analyze management reports of varying needs and complexities;
- Participate or lead the response to emergencies, injuries or other like matters;
- Regular and predictable punctuality, attendance and dependability; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- A minimum of five years’ experience in: mentoring, training and supervising hourly, full–time and part–time employees; providing front–line customer service (preferably in the hospitality industry or with a cultural institution);
- Proficiency in admissions ticketing/membership software programs, Altru or similar program;
- A minimum of five years’ experience working directly with a large number of volunteers in substantive areas and projects;
- A minimum of five years’ experience working with a medium- to large-size organization in collaborative and cross-functional assignments;
- The demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks under considerable pressure while maintaining a calm and helpful demeanor that yields exceptional customer service at all times;
- A paid work history that demonstrates a progressively–increasing scope of managerial responsibilities;
- Outstanding oral (including listening) and written communications;
- Above–average proficiency in Microsoft Office and scheduling/calendar software programs;
- A Bachelor’s of Arts or Science degree in Business Administration, Hospitality/Tourism Management, or related field. (Or a combination of equivalent education and directly related work experience).
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals,
- Ability to communicate (listening and speaking) effectively with volunteers or employees of the organization,
- Ability to swiftly and successfully solve problems and address immediate issues that might arise,
- Ability to work independently, and demonstrate wise decision-making within the bounds of the area of responsibility and authority,
- Ability to demonstrate consistent and predictable punctuality, attendance and dependability,
- Ability to take and give direction, multi-task and work effectively in a team environment.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to:
- Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operation and maintenance instructions and procedural manuals,
- Perform repetitive motions up to 40-50% of the time using a keyboard and mouse and lift up to 25 pounds,
- Move about (sometimes swiftly in case of emergencies) to different areas of the property and buildings located on the grounds,
- Use hands to finger, handle, and feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear,
- Have dexterity of arms, hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and mouse,
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, color vision and ability to focus vision,
- Stand, walk, reach, lift, carry and bend frequently, as well as sit for long periods of time at a computer,
- Ability to hear and speak to members, volunteers, staff, and emergency responders.
Candidates with the above prerequisites are invited to submit their resumes along with a cover letter outlining their related experience and background to: email@example.com.
Please no phone calls.
Filoli is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity in the workplace.