Filoli Visitor Map
A detailed layout of the house, gardens and pathways.
For best results, print on 8.5x14 paper. Requires Acrobat Reader. Full Color Versions available at the Visitor and Education Center upon arrival.
Directions to Filoli.
Learn about our educational offerings.
Overview of Position:
Under the general direction of the Head of Horticulture the primary role of the Garden Supervisor is to preserve and maintain the historic formal gardens by providing supervision and direction of all horticultural operations in the gardens, greenhouses, and landscape. The position carries the responsibility for the management of garden department personnel, safety protocols, equipment use/procurement, and staff training. The Garden Supervisor also has a significant hands–on presence in the garden.
Qualifications and Required Skills:
A masterís degree in horticulture and 5 years of supervisory experience in a horticultural setting are minimum requirements for the position. The Garden Supervisor assumes a high level of responsibility and is an important member of the garden department management team. At Filoli, the emphasis is on achieving the highest standards of horticulture and display. This is a multi–faceted position where organization, supervision, communications and leadership are all essential qualifications along with proven technical proficiency in horticulture proficiency, pest control, and safety. As a working manager, this person must possess both physical strength, stamina and demonstrate mechanical ability. A California Pest Control Advisor’s License is required and must be obtained within one year of employment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Preserve, restore and manage horticultural operations within the formal gardens, greenhouse complex, fruit orchard, and natural lands.
- Implement overall quality standards to be maintained throughout the garden department.
- As a member of the management team, support and facilitate the development of expanded programs in the areas of horticulture and education.
- Oversee greenhouse facilities, nursery, plant production, and plant sales operations.
- Manage Filoli’s tree program to ensure preservation of trees and public safety
- Participate in professional organizations and establish leadership role in the horticultural community.
- Plan, schedule, coordinate and delegate horticultural work activities and priorities for all garden areas including greenhouses.
- Enforce safety standards regarding the use of equipment for the garden staff, interns, and volunteers.
Personnel and Budget:
- Make recommendations to the Head of Horticulture for hiring, promotion, termination and management of garden staff.
- Perform annual performance reviews for garden staff.
- Perform managerial functions of supervision, training, counseling, performance evaluation, and hiring.
- Develop and manage annual department budgets for areas of responsibility.
- Assist with the administration of safety programs, accident prevention, emergency communication, and documentation of training.
- Purchasing and inventory control of garden department tools, power equipment, and vehicles.
- Provide support for Filoli fund raising events and programs that require the assistance of garden personnel
- Provide support to the Friends of Filoli organization efforts.
- Coordinate with Maintenance Dept. on needed physical structure repairs and improvements in the garden.
- Work with maintenance department to coordinate all equipment repairs.
- Maintain a moderate level of computer literacy for interdepartmental documentation, communication, record keeping, and scheduling.
Salary: $65,000 per year
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, and 401(k) program.
How to Apply:
Email cover letter, resume, and 3 letters of recommendation to email@example.com
or mail documents to: Filoli, 86 Cañada Rd., Woodside, CA 94062, Attn: Head of Horticulture.
Please, no phone calls.
Filoli Center is an equal opportunity employer.