Filoli Visitor Map
A detailed layout of the house, gardens and pathways.
For best results, print on 8.5x14 paper. Requires Acrobat Reader. Full Color Versions available at the Visitor and Education Center upon arrival.
Directions to Filoli.
Learn about our educational offerings.
Visitor Services Assistant – Part–Time
Filoli Center is a non–profit institution situated on a 650–acre site with a historic House, 16 acres of formal Garden, and a nature preserve. Filoli is dedicated to the preservation, interpretation and stewardship of the cultural traditions and natural history of this country estate for public education and enjoyment.
The Visitors Services Assistant is responsible for providing visitors with an exceptional experience. The position requires significant interaction with visitors, volunteers and staff, while working in a very busy, multi–faceted office environment.
This part–time, non–exempt seasonal position typically works Friday through Sunday, from early February through early December. The normally scheduled hours are: 8:30am–5:00pm on Friday and 9:30am to 4:00pm on Saturday and Sunday. Additional days or evenings may be required from time to time to meet Filoli’s needs. The hourly rate is between $15 and $18 per hour, depending on skills and experience and is not eligible for benefits.
Essential Duties and responsibilities include:
- Provide excellent customer service and promote a positive visitor experience;
- Make reservations for House and Garden tours, Nature Hikes, and School Programs;
- Arrange group tours including room reservations and lunch options;
- Greet visitors, maintain supplies of visitor materials, ensure safety of visitors;
- Assist with opening and closing duties, process admission fees, reconcile daily accounting;
- Assist with training Visitor Services volunteers, scheduling docents, and dispatching tours;
- Regular and predictable attendance.
Skills, experience and qualities desired:
Please note – Only résumés that meet the following criteria will be considered:
The email subject line must say: Visitors Services Assistant – Part–Time
Resume and cover letter must be attached using MSWord format or PDF – do not include resume in the body of the email
- A minimum of five years work experience in a service, visitor or guest-oriented position;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong customer service orientation
- Ability to maintain a positive, calm demeanor and professional manner with visitors and volunteers at all times;
- Ability to be responsive to a large number of visitors’ diverse needs while focusing on high priority tasks;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Outlook;
- Experience in a tour/ scheduling database, a plus;
- Impeccable punctuality and dependability - reliable transportation is critical as there is no public transportation available to this facility.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operation and maintenance instructions and procedural manuals;
- Ability to perform repetitive motions up to 60% of time using a keyboard & mouse and lift/carry up to 20 pounds;
- Ability to stand, walk, reach, lift, carry and bend frequently, as well as sit for long periods of time at a computer;
- Ability to move about to different buildings and areas in the Gardens located on the grounds;
- Ability to hear and speak to visitors, staff and emergency responders on the phone and in person, as well as hear and respond to emergency broadcasts.
Apply by email to: email@example.com
IT Support Specialist – Part–Time
The IT Support Specialist assists office staff and volunteers with on-site technical support of desktop computers, software, network infrastructure and related technology. Activities may include installation, upgrade, and troubleshooting of application software, networking and operating systems. This position will diagnose and resolve both daily and routine issues, as well as unique, complex and non-recurring problems in support of a large and diverse group of staff and volunteers, some of which may have minimal technical skill or could be new to using computers and software programs. In order to resolve problems this person must be able to communicate clearly and collaborate effectively with non–technical users.
This part–time, non-exempt position will work between 18–22 hours per week, and is not eligible for any company provided benefits. Please note: some schedule flexibility will be critical to meet the needs of users, including some alternating mornings and afternoons during the week. Additional days or evenings may be required from time to time to meet Filoli’s needs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- In response to service requests, diagnose, identify, troubleshoot and resolve problems with computer systems, software, network infrastructure and peripheral devices.
- Install, upgrade, configure and test computers, monitors, keyboards, operating systems, software programs, printers and other peripheral devices.
- Install, configure and maintain network servers, equipment and devices.
- Assist with planning and support of network and computing infrastructure.
- Work with and coordinate outside IT vendors, telecommunications and other service providers.
- Provide introductory training and assist users in the proper operation of computers, software and peripherals.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Two to four years of college or university coursework, or equivalent experience, in computer science, information systems, operating systems, or other related fields.
- At least five (5) years of extensive application and network infrastructure support experience in a organization - non-profit experience a plus
- Must have solid working expertise with:
- Installation, administration and support of Windows XP, 7 and 8 operating systems
- Microsoft Office applications including Office 2003 and later
- Networking technologies, including TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, T1 connectivity and firewalls
- Highly self motivated and directed
- Strong attention to detail and able to effectively communicate in writing
- Ability to maintain a positive, calm demeanor and professional manner with staff and volunteers at all times
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Strong ability to effectively explain complex technical issues to non-technical people.
- Ability to be proactive and identify issues/tasks – creative problem solver
- Ability to multi-task and demonstrate strong time-management, organization, details, accuracy and follow-through skills
- Ability to demonstrate a strong customer service orientation
- Ability to demonstrate consistent and predictable punctuality, attendance and dependability
- Ability to work independently, while maintaining a positive team player attitude
- Ability to maintain confidential information
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to:
- Use hands to finger, handle, and feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear,
- Have dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, tools, and to handle various computer components,
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, color vision and ability to focus vision,
- Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operation and maintenance instructions and procedural manuals,
- Perform repetitive motions up to 75% of time using a keyboard & mouse,
- Lift/carry up to 50 pounds,
- Stand, walk, reach, lift, carry and bend repeatedly and often, as well as sit for long periods of time at a computer,
- Hear and speak to employees and volunteers on the phone and in person,
- Move about to different buildings located on the grounds and access offices on second floor.
Please note – Only resumes and cover letters with the following information will be considered:
- The email subject line must say: IT Support Specialist – Part-Time
- Resume and cover letter must be attached using MSWord format or PDF – do not include resume in the body of the email
- Please provide anticipated hourly rate range
- A brief summary of skills and experience in the cover letter, as they relate to the above job description, in terms a non technical person can understand. Inclusion of examples will be a plus.
Apply by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Filoli Center is an equal opportunity employer.