Visitor Policy and Etiquette; Artwork and Photography
Visitor Policy and Etiquette
Filoli is a private property of the National Trust for Historic Preservation and is dedicated to the preservation, interpretation and stewardship of the cultural traditions and natural history of this country estate for public education and enjoyment. Please help us to preserve and protect this local treasure and make the experience as authentic as possible by observing the following guidelines:
- Only leashed service dogs are allowed on the grounds of Filoli. No other animals are permitted.
- With the exception of bottled water, food and beverages cannot be brought onto the Filoli grounds.Picnics are not allowed. Please visit www.eparks.net for suggestions of local parks. The Café at Filoli is open on Tuesday through Saturday from 9:30-3:30 and Sunday from 11:00-3:30 to serve visitors.
- No smoking is allowed anywhere on the Filoli property.
- Please keep to designated walking areas and observe signs and cordoned off areas where horticulture work may be in progress.
- Please do not pick flowers, walk in the planted beds, or climb trees. Fallen leaves, flowers and other plant materials must be left on the ground.
- In the House, please stay within the designated tour route.
- Please do not touch any of the furnishings or draperies within the house.
- Do not walk on the lawns.
- Filoli is an historic garden. You may encounter natural hazards such as tree roots, uneven ground or gravel paths. Please be aware of your surroundings and watch your footing.
- For your safety, do not approach any wildlife.
- Informal "vacation style" picture taking and home videotaping are permitted throughout the House and Garden.
- Filoli is not available for weddings, wedding or engagement photos, family portraits, religious ceremonies, or other private parties and events.
Photography and Artwork
Sketching in the Garden
Filoli invites artists to sketch in the Garden. In doing so, please be respectful of other visitors and mindful of the Garden pathways, steps and plant beds. Use only handheld sketchpads and pencil, charcoal, pastels and small, portable, self–contained watercolor sets. Please do not dispose of used water or any other artist materials while at Filoli. If you are interested in creating artwork for personal use, you may be interested in Artist Access Days.
Personal Photography in the House and Garden
Filoli also invites visitors to use cameras and smart phones to take personal photos of the landscape, friends and family while visiting the House and Garden. Camera tripods and mono–pods are not permitted in the House but may be used in the Garden. Please be respectful of other visitors and note that our pathways are narrow. Do not obstruct any pathways or damage hedges and plantings when using camera equipment. Additional photographic equipment is prohibited (lights, reflectors, props, costumes, models), except under commercial contract. Filoli is not available for weddings, commitment ceremonies, wedding or engagement photos, portraits of any kind, religious ceremonies, or other private parties and events. If you are interested in taking landscape photos (no models) for personal use, you may be interested in Artist Access Days.
Commercial Photography and Film at Filoli
The Filoli House and Garden are available for commercial film and photography by appointment only. Specific guidelines and variable rates apply. Filoli is not available for weddings, commitment ceremonies, wedding or engagement photos, family portraits, religious ceremonies, or other private parties and events.
Please contact Filoli’s Media and Public Relations Office at (650) 364–8300, extension 218, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to discuss available dates.
A non–refundable 50% deposit, along with a signed reservation form, is needed to reserve a specific date or dates. A signed contract and Certificate of Insurance for the shoot is also required two weeks prior to the shoot. The outstanding balance is due at the time of the completed shoot. Checks should be made payable to: Filoli.